Thursday, April 06, 2006

Gotta love NJ prices

Well, I started to study but two episodes of earl, a show about teachers, CNN and half a Southpark episode got in the way.

I had a thought recently that since I am supposed to spend the month of April studying, I would not be able to do much of any work around the yard. Rather than have an overgrown jungle, why not hire a landscaper to do the spring cleanup and a few plantings? Well, here was his quote:
$225 - 3 Arborvitae trees to replace the ones that died last year on the tree line
$350 - Spring cleanup to remove leaves and thatch yard (thatch? still not quite sure what that is.)
$1250 - Plant 5 pine trees to replace the ugly shrubs on the corner of the lot
$ 350 - Remove the ugly shrubs
$ 800 - Remove fallen trees on wooded hillside
$ 500 - replace dead sod in front yard
$ 55 - apply fertilizer to yard
$1800 - apply mulch to beds & edge (1800 for mulch!)
$5330 Total Cost

On the other hand, perhaps I can do my own yard work. Danielle certainly thinks so!

4 comments:

angie {the arthur clan} said...

Yowza! Are these prices typical for NJ landscaping or could you get some other quotes that might be cheaper? That sounds horribly expensive but then most everything seems to be that way in NJ. Sucks for you! :)

Jeff said...

I'm not sure if they are normal, but I'm certainly not going to pay them! Besides, I've got Jon out here to help me with that stuff... :)

Drew said...

Jeff,
I actually watched something on TV the other day about de-thatching. Only certain parts of the country need to dethatch. You're supposed to look and see if you have more than 1/2 inch of a dead grass layer. They have equipment that you can rent that does the job. It looks like a mower and then you rake up the dead grass afterwards. See...there is some use to watching meaningless TV.

jescandlon said...

Hey Jeff,

I'll come and do it for only $3000!